Last week again the issue with problems displaying full sessions tracks on Google Maps (Premium Members only) was reported again by Pat Erauw. For months we have tried to find the solution for this, and we are happy to announce that we think we have found the root-cause... We assumed that incidents related to track-display where caused by poor performance on the client side and latency issues related to the Google Maps Webservices but last week we did again some additional test and we finally managed to isolate the problem.
It appearded only sessions posted with GPSAR Pro Version 5.10 & 5.11 were affected (approx 30% session posted in the recent months), some session data related to track-display only seemed to be exported in a bit different format than in previous versions of GPSAR Pro. Today Dylan has released a small fix on the website, so from now on any session posted with GPSAR Pro should be displayed correct.Unfortunately it's not possible to apply this fix to sessions posted before today, so when opening historical sessions posted with GPSAR Pro 5.10 or 5.10 we still have this issue.
We have informed the developer of GPSAR Pro about this situation, and expected that a software-fix will be deployed to fix this also for future releases.
Please keep up posted about the results....